Sunday, June 5

Service to my country ...part 2

The day has arrived. In the morning, I was scared and nervous. Couldn't imagine what it would be like to be in front of 300+ teenagers. They were around the age of 17 to 19 years old.

During breakfast, both of us were still discussing on our plans and a few minutes later the other 2 trainers to join us. We were lucky as the other 2 trainer agreed to our plans. And the best part is.....the other trainer is a lecturer himself - from one of the famous University. I felt a bit more confident.Frankly speaking - I think all of us were nervous.

We had a briefing by the camp leader and 15 minutes later we were already infront of the trainees.It started off well, with us introducing ourselves to them. The we asked them to line up and put them into groups. After that, everything went on smoothly - not as bad as we thought of! At the end of the 1st day session, all 4 of us were quite happy with the outcome. What a relief! It went on well for the next 2 days. By the 2nd and 3rd day, we were quite comfortable with the trainees and there were regular faces that we had to deal with interms of being too playful. Actually, by the end of the last day, I was sad. I was very sad to leave the camp. I wish we were given more days to be with them.

Basically, we didn't use the method that was written in the manuals. We used our own method - maybe we thought that it would be more appropriate to handle the big group. We had to come up with our own activities that was more interesting and exciting. And overall, I think we did well. We managed to get the message across, we managed to make our session as an ice-breaking session for the trainees to get to know and to respect each other, their culture, their religion and the opposite sex.

Being there, in the camp, for only 3 days, made me realised that the National Service Camp is an excellent thing for our youngsters. Yes, there are a lot more to improve, but it is a good platform for our young generation to get to know the culture, religion, and values of each Malaysian. This will eventually lead them respecting each other. Which , in the future, hopefully will benefit our country and us.

Being there, also, made me realised that I love training. I love teaching. I love doing motivation courses especially to the youngsters. I wish I could share my experience with them. I wish I could be part of the National Service Camp trainers. Part of any team who needs it. Yeah...I know its not easy. But I guess that's my call. To contribute to the society, to contribute to the country. Maybe I should start small - to contribute to my school.

To the parents out there - don't worry. NS is good for your children. It teaches them everything about being a Malaysian. Teaches them to be independent. Teaches them to respect each other.

And did I tell you that the accomodation is great and the food is excellent?

No comments: