Saturday, May 28

Is there such thing as "well planned future"?

Today is Friday, 27th May 2005. Gosh!! I feel like it is still in March or April . But when you notice that it is not as cold outside anymore, then you realise that summer is around the corner. Amazing how time flies! 3 more days and it means that I have been here for 2 months. Yes, 2 months of becoming a student. 2 months of staying with my brother and his family. 2 months away from my beloved hubby and family.2 months without going to IKEA Damansara and Uptown for its delicious food.2 months aways from my crazy friends in KL. 2 months of being jobless. And the list goes on...and on.

2 months of being jobless? Am I sure its 2 months? Hmmm.......I think I stopped "formally" going to the office or another meaning is I was formally "released" from the company on 1st of March. I "formally" stopped doing any work on 1st of January. That's not 2 months. That's about 4 months!! Let me try to recall, when did I start applying for jobs. Oh yeah....sometime in end of December 2004. Yup....you heard it right, December 2004. I didn't really keep track of the applications but until the end of March,I guess it must be nearly to 50 companies. Through Jobstreet.com,through headhunters, through jobs advertised in the local newspapers, through referrals - all the ways that I could think of and also with the help of my friends.

Out of 50 companies, 4 called me for interview. Yes...you read it right - only 4 interviews. Interesting. 2 was through referrals. I believed I did well, even had to sit for a "personality" test and they said I did well but there was no suitable position for me there. Its ok. At least I know, they recognised it. The 3rd one said, " You are good. But we can't afford to pay you. Do you have anybody who is as good as you but we could pay lower?" What a question!!!! And you know what did the 4th asked? "hmm......how long have you been wearing your headscarf?". Come on!!! We are in a Muslim country and you asked me this question? What is this? What is happening here? Come on......

1st - if you pay peanuts - you get monkey. You may get somebody who's discipline is not up to the standards, work ethics, motivation level, attitude, maturity (like my ex-boss always metioned) with no work experience(maybe)

2nd - example :if the person has a Master's Degree and apply for a lower qualification job,or, if the person has a lot of experience in working and applied for a simple task job then he/she will still be turned away - Oh! you are over qualified or over experienced for the job!

3rd -If you don't know how to speak other languages other than BM and English - then you can't apply for most of the jobs too. Just imagine looking at the job ads in the newspapers and not able to apply for it just because of this. Want to know something? I'm learning French instead and trying very hard to practise it with my chat friend from France. hahaha.....

And...because of all the reasons above, I am still jobless until now. For the first time in my 13 years of working, this is the first time I'm not working. That is why I decided to be here. Instead of just applying jobs and waiting for companies to call me for interviews, and maybe go for lunch or tea with my friends, its better for me to be here temporarily. I'm exploring new options. Option which a number of people thinks I'm crazy. While doing a 3 months course, I managed to get myself busy. To get some pocket money, I sell things on the Ebay. Not much...but it helps. Then I learn how to cook Japanese food. I also learned from my class how the teachers here handle foreign students.(this is an experience for me because I'm a trainer by profession)

All my life, I've always planned things in advance. Planned for almost everything.Planned when not to study anymore, planned when to start work, planned when to get married, planned to get a new job......almost everything!! I don't like last minute decisions , especially the ones involving my life and my work. I plan to stay away from things that I shouldn't do if there were risks involved. Talking about risks. I plan because I am not a risk taker.I admit it. I have been living in my comfort zone for the last 3 years. Everything is just well-planned, well coordinated and organised. But this year, since the moment I decided to join my brother , and until now, at this point of time, I just don't have any ideas on what will happen next.I don't have any fixed plans anymore. Or plan that can ensure what my future will be. I'm just going to live a day at a time. Yes, it is very scary.Not worried? Who says so? I am worried at times. I have commitments back home. I can't just leave everything to my husband. Although everytime I ring him, he will say," Don't worry dear, just concentrate and do whatever you are doing there. Leave everything here to me". How could I? I've been doing the bills and the housework for the past 8 years. I AM WORRIED.

And later, when I return, will there be a job for me? Will I be able to get a job to help my husband? Will there be any interviews for me? Who said I've stopped applying for jobs? I am still doing it through Jobstreet.com.

Thinking out loud, maybe.......maybe I'll open a Sushi stall or cart. Yeah..maybe....and now...THAT IS MY NEXT PLAN FOR THE FUTURE.



Quote of the day: Things happened for a reason. I have always believe in this. Insya Allah, what ever happens, it is always the best for us - eventhough it hurts.Everything has its "hikmah".




P/S - Remember I promised to put up my classmates' photos? Well, its already up and running. Check out my fotopages! May add more in the near future.

2 comments:

F.Idrus said...

K.Spena,
Business is a good thing.. seriously. Or, maybe u can try... maybe not so much money but y don't u try for basketball coach? U got the experience!! U played for Sukma!! At least for the time being for STF's team? They really need help dude!!

Spena said...

Basketball coach? I would do that for STF as suka2, but not to be a full time. I'm just not qualified. But it will be interesting and fun if I can....