2 years ago, to be precise on 10th July 2005, R2V had our first ever meeting. That includes myself, K.Ana,Abang Ise, Hana and also Mr Liew. Yes, Mr Liew was introduced to us as the head coach - somebody who is going to help us plan the training program for TF Dynamites. Well, at that time, we didn't even have a name for the girls.
As I recall, the meeting was very interesting and also scary for me. Interesting as I, haven't even met K.Ana, Abang Ise and Mr Liew before, was agreeing to something that at that point of time I thought it was ok - helping to coach STF. Scary because I know, I was not a qualified coach. I just have the passion. Passion of playing basketball,passion of helping my school to win the cup again after so long. One after another of my questions were answered by Mr Liew, as he had the full confidence that we are going to take back the title, and I will be able to help the girls by learning from him how to become a coach, a good coach.
From there onwards, we moved. I had to follow K.ana, Abang Ise and and him everytime they go to MCKK to train the boys. The first few months were full of travelling to KK and a few basketball tournaments to learn.
Sometimes, when the Cagers have training camps elsewhere, we cramped into an apartment - 20 of us in a 3 bedroom apartment. We were like a big family. And every trips to KK, Mr Liew would asked whether I would be able to go together as it will help me to train me to learn how to read the games.
It was tough. At times, really tough as when any of my players make mistake, he would only call my name instead of the girls.He would scold me instead. Sometimes I feel that I'm one of the player, the main player to be exact, in the team. There were a few times that I almost gave up, did not understand why must he call my name instead of the players when something is done wrong. Or when the girls did not do as per what they have been trained on.
I guess, some things are meant to be that way -escpecially when learning is concerned. He has proven himself to be an excellent coach. And here I am, since 2005, still learning to be a coach from the great 'Guru' himself. I did mentioned once to him that I would like to take up a coaching certification course, but he didn't encourage it as the certificate does not guarantee learning how to be the best coach. Yes, I totally agree with him.
Even though there are going to be other schools interested to get his 'consultation' and advise soon, its not going to be that easy. Trust me. I've been there. I've done that. Unless if the person can commit 110% for the team, its not going to be easy. Mr Liew himself is too busy to coach any other team personally other than the Cagers (an also Dynamites)- it is up to the coaches of the individual school to do it (with his guidance). Welcome to the big family and all the best !
An Old Boy has written an article for Mr.Liew's contribution in basketball. Read it here
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment