Wednesday, September 26

Ice skating anyone?

Since I am working morning this week, I had sometime to watch TV after buka puasa . While switching channels, I came across a show on Channel 8 - 'Trippin'? It was about this girl or model who was introduced to ice skating.

That reminds me when I first tried ice skating during my on job training in the UK in Dec 05.Well, I've always wanted to try it in Pyramid - tapi malu kalau jatuh. Mesti macam nangka busuk, kan? So, me and my big mouth, suggested to go for ice skating on one of the working nights, with some of our office colleagues there.At least, kalu jatuh macam nangka busuk pun, tak ada orang kenal...hehehe...

There we were, excited to try this new thing. There were 4 of us Malaysians with 5 other colleagues . It seems that the other 'mat salleh' have not even tried it to? Heran kan? Negara sejuk , ada salji, easy access to ice skating rinks, tapi tak pernah skate.

My previous office manager (just resigned last week), said to me before we started - "I think you are going to be the STAR among us tonight.You will be 'flying' everywhere.". I said no way as that was my first time on the ice. With those blades and my weight and size, huh, it would take me sometime to learn and skate smoothly.

With my previous office manager who was chubby and cute, and nice.

After putting on our skates, off we went into the rink. My heart was beating really fast. What if I fall? Would it hurt? Will I be injured? Slowly, one by one stepped into the rink, holding on tightly to the side wall. At first all of us just walked. Tried to get used to the boots, and the slippery ice.

Done with the 1st round of walking. The the 2nd round, I gained a bit of confidence. Tried moving a bit faster than the rest of the group. By the 3rd round, I was practically sliding fast around the rink and leaving my friends behind! It just gave me that adrenaline rush, going faster and faster.The amazing part is I didn't even fall down.Not even once. Actually, I was amazed by myself..hehehe...tak sangka. I even made friends with this guy who could also dance on the ice and was showing off to me. He thought I was a regular there as he said I'm quite good. Not bad huh for a first timer!

My other friends? Hmm....they kind of trying their very best not to fall down. One of them is the expert in falling flat on her bum. The other one keep holding to the sides/ wall every rounds. They asked me to explain how I managed to catch up really fast - I didn't know. It just came to me and something just pushed me to try; go and go.

We were there for about 2 hours. When everybody was satisfied and decided to leave, we had a group photography session. While getting ready to gather, the girl who was an 'expert' in falling, fell flat on the ice again. So, me, being the only one who had not fall down through out the night, wanted to give her a hand. Konon macho lah. Then , in a split second, without even managed to think or to shout, I fell down! It was a weird feeling.
The cameraman wanted to hold his laugh. That caused the 'blur' effects.

It was really weird as it was my 1st fall, I didn't expect it at all. I tried to stand but fell down again. If my friends fell down at the side of the rink, falling down in the middle of the rink where everybody focusing on us taking photos - not a good feeling. It was embarrassing and funny at the same time.

I managed to try some 'moves' during skating and managed to do some. However there is one thing that I could not do, until we left the rink.

I did not know how to stop. Every time, I would go straight to the wall and use it as my break mechanism. My friends teased me as with the speed that I was going, I should know how to stop.

And tonight, watching the show on TV , the girl was taught how to skate. It seems that there are 5 basic moves - and the 5th one is "How to Brake".

And do you know how long for a person usually takes to learn how to brake? On average it takes about 2 weeks.
Yes, 2 long weeks.


That explains that I'm normal.

By the way, before I forget, whoever wants to try, please make sure you do some stretching for your legs first. Or else, you might end up like me - couldn't even lift up my leg when going in and out of the car for a few days. I have to practically hold and lift up my leg manually. It hurts like hell!


p/s:
Maybe, one of these days, if I'm stressed, I should go ice skating again. Ice skating anyone?

13 comments:

wanshana said...

My kids and I also saw Trippin' last night! It was kinda cool on how you're supposed to "brake", eh? If it was me doing it I would probably langgar the person I was skating towards and everybody within the vicinity would probably tumble down like bowling pins!

I used to skate when I was in the UK, and I had my fair shares of falling down, too - flat on my B*TT! I contribute my back pain (during all my preganancies) to that!

My second daughter has been asking me to bring her skating for quite some time now. My eldest daughter claims to be a "Pro" already - having gone skating with her friends a few times in the last 1 month. Hmmmm...she has not seen her Mommy skate yet... ;D

Anonymous said...

Before there was ice skating there was roller skating. Roller skating was the in-thing between 1974-1976 until some guy named Kelly opened up an ice-skating rink at Asiajaya (where Armada Hotel is now). That rink closed down when someone else opened up another rink at Sungai Wang Plaza.

Hmm..on second thoughts I think Kelly opened up the one at Sungai Wang. So on Saturday nights back in 1977 it turned into a disco and we were all skating and dancing to disco beats of Saturday Night Fever and so on.

meandmylife said...

hey...my daughter dah start class last week..hmmm ingat nak belajar la..jomm!!.. *wink*

Spena said...

K.Shana- jon lah. sakting. When you send your daughter, you can join in sekali. I pun risau takut terlanggar orang. Tapi I lagi risau kalau jatuh tertonggeng! ;-)

SD- yeah, I used to roller skate when I was very young. Maybe that explains why I could 'balance' my body quite good.Cuma, I can't remember the 2 ice skating rinks you mentioned as I was just born!!

meandmylife - jom ice skating! Kite ajak all the girls- jazz, guile,bakawali, dnas, nachos, hanazie etc... It would definitely be fun!

Anonymous said...

Spena...you've been tagged.

http://narcaholic.com/blog/?p=1067 or click on my name.

meandmylife said...

hahaah...dah la badan i ni besar cam apa jer...kalau tertonggeng cemana? aiyoo..but teringin la.. :-)

Bakawali said...

Well, that reminds me of what happened in 1998. Went on a blind date with a guy who claimed that he's a great ice skater (which he learnt during his student days in Germany)...

Anyway, the so-called expert brought me to the ring.... fell all over the place...with various styles... and the highlight was the attendant had to tow him back to the entrance... I was busily skating on my own (hmmm bad huh??) and pretending not to know him....

Have not seen him ever since

ardy said...

Bakawali,

That sounded just like my experience! I already know how to skate, but pretended not to know so that I'll get some extra tutoring from my date (and some hand holding and butt grabbing) but instead, she kept bumping into me and falling all over the place.

Maybe she just wanted to touch me ;)

Bakawali said...

Hmmm Ardy,

If you are pretending know to be good at least you'd just be wobbling along... and thus the girl have no choice but to hold your hand , butt, or whatever is available to keep you stable.... plus the girl must be an expert...

That was my first and only time skating... So that tactic would not work...

Btw, why don't you show me how to skate....it has been nearly 10 years,,,..but I guess I can muster up some butt grabbing action.. *wink*

Anonymous said...

You two are made for each other la. You guys love to grab butts. Go ice-skating, guys! :D

I just keep it simple by spanking.

ardy said...

Bakawali,

You must be a natural. I haven't skated in ages, so I guess we'll be grabbing and touching each other a lot.. alamak, puasa!

Bakawali said...

hmmmm Ardy....

That's a great thought,,,, I don't mind *wink* *wink* oh ya ...now puasa... there goes everything....

Btw SD, butt out...heheheh.... ooppss... I have grabbed your butt before...hee hee hee

Spena said...

Hello my beloved friends...bulan puasa lah ni. let's go for food first instead of butt- grabing, ok!