Sunday, October 28

I'm crazy for mushrooms

Last night, after work at 11pm, I rushed home. Not to go home exactly as I don't usually rush home , but to rush to Tesco to get some groceries for my empty fridge. As I felt the urge of making something for dinner (yup, I still have not purchased gas for my stove but I could do some magic with my microwave and oven!) And Tesco opens until 1am on Saturdays....just perfect with my work schedule.

After going one round of window shopping, I ended up in the vege section. I saw they had this 'Reduced to Clear' section - my favorite section on the floor. This is where they sell things at a reduced price as it might have been physically damaged or maybe it is almost near to expiring.(near means not expired yet, ok!) Sometimes you could get yogurt as low as 69sen per cup!

A mushroom lover I am, without taking a long time to think what I'm going to do with it, I grabbed myself these:

This is the fresh white button mushroom at RM1.60. Other than cooking it, it can be eaten fresh- just wash it and pop it into your mouth. It would make a great snack.


Then I grabbed these too. It is the Portabello mushrooms at RM1.42. (NP is at RM8.00++)These would turn into an excellent breakfast menu for me!


And grabbed these also; the Euro mushrooms (looked like button mushrooms but its black) at RM2.00. I really love all these mushrooms.




And this was what I had last night for supper, addition to my usual 'Mi Sedaaap' Sambal goreng.Portabello mushrooms with butter, garlic, pepper and salt- baked.

And in my fridge, there are 3 more packets of mushrooms waiting to be cooked....

What a good bargain. What I could see there was only a minor physical damage on the mushrooms. To get all those mushrooms at that price is really, really excellent.

Got to think of what to make with the rest.

Hmm...mushrooms for supper, breakfast, lunch and dinner.


p/s This reminded me of my high-school mushroom 'TOING'

7 comments:

Bakawali said...

waaah...so cheap...

I am also a mushroom lover..... yummy...

Anonymous said...

Salam Aidilfitri Spena.... Bloghopped from Ryzah's blog.

Glad you found your mushrooms and at great price too - at TESCO !!! Hehehh... Sbb tu mesti nak kena tinggalkan note ni. Ahaks!

As i scrolled down your notes... hmmm.... what hepeng la sis? Anyway, whatever happened, be strong. InsyaAllah ... setiap sesuatu yg dituliskan utk kita, surely ad hikmah nya.

U take care!

p/s sorry ek.. nak sign up pun maleh ni hah!

Spena said...

Bakawali-really cheap. I was shocked.Tu yg ter'excited' beli bebanyak!.hehehe

Ibu! Yup!Tesco amazes me at times. I'm a big fan of the 'Reduced to Clear' section. Tak kisah lah, cheese, yogurt, mushroom..etc. If ada any exciting promo-just inform ok! Alhamdulillah, I'm ok. Not easy, but I'm ok.Thanks for your concern.

Hazyr said...

hehehe... ibu sungguh teruja kak spena promo tesco in her blog!

kak spena, jom la basketball next week. Last week cancelled sebab tak dpt 10 orang atleast..

wanshana said...

Weiiiii Ibu!!!

Sempat jugak tu?! Hahaha!

By the way Spena, when you have your gas supply nanti, try dipping the mushrooms in eggs (beaten with a bit of salt, black pepper and chopped garlic), and then dip in some quaker oats, and deep fry them.

Yummy...

Hang in there, dear...

Spena said...

Kak Shana, that recipe sounds excellent. I might go and get the gas now....something to motivate me to do that...hehehe...

Anonymous said...

Hmm...mushrooms...my favourite..but high in purine. Sad.