Monday, May 23

3o years alive and my first ever camping trip

Camping...hmmm......something that I've never dreamt to do. Previous years, from primary to secondary till just weeks ago - I've always managed to "escape" from going to one. Reason? Well....I really can't stand leeches...and camping in Malaysia, 99.9% means you got to go out to the jungle or waterfall or mountains and these places are full of leeches. Yuckkss...Everywhere. No thanks. I would prefer to donate my blood to the Blood Bank. Just couldn't stand seeing those creatures moving up your legs the way they moved ..its soooooo.....disgusting. (I don't think this describes it)
BUT...2 weeks back, when the weather was extremely perfect ( UK's weather is so undpredictable), my brother, out of the blue, said, we were going camping! Within 45 mts, we were ready with all the camping gears in the car!! That was fast - not knowing what I was getting myself into. When I asked him what to bring , he said just bring extra sweaters and a change of clothes for tomorrow. So, myself, my bro, wife and baby and our cousin headed to Snowdonia in Wales.

The journey - It was a 4 hours drive to reach there. We drove through the mountains and lake. I had this sudden temperature change "syndrom" where I was sneezing non-stop upon entering the mountains area.But thank god it sort of dissapear when we reach our camping ground.Thank god it was not "Hay fever"

The scenery - huh....I wish I could explain it with words. At one side of the road, the mountains are green, with sheep fed on the grass and the river was flowing just beside our camping ground.If we were to climb a bit further, we could actually see a waterfall behind the toilet. Yes!! There was a toilet and a sink. What a relief!! Can't imagine if we were to do "it" in the river.
The other side of the road - looking at the mountain - you feel as if you're in the Lord of The Rings movie. To be precise - Mordor. Made up from only stones, you might wonder if the big stones were to fall down on to the road.

The sun - we managed to capture the sunset moment. It was beautiful. With orange sky and the mountains - wish I had my own video camera. The moment it dissapeared, we felt the temperature dropped tremendously.

The dinner - after putting up the tents and done our solat, we cooked the famous "Maggie Mee" for dinner. Just imagine, the excitement of coming here made us forget to bring really good food. We should have brought meat/chicken for bar-b-cue. Now, our camping trip feels like during the school days.hahahaha.

The night - Me and my cousin who shared the same tent.....suffered the whole night through.it was extremely cold. I had 5 layers of shirt on, 2 layers of trousers, and 2 layers of sleeping bags. There goes my "change of clothes" for the next day. Arghhhh.......couldn't even feel warmth. 12 midnight to 4am felt like 8 long hours.My cousin...hahahaha...worst. She was trembling through out the night. Guess what was the mistake? Both of us didn't know how to use the sleeping bag the correct way! We actually didn't zip it all the way up. And we realised this when we did some post-mortem with my brother. Oh boy!! We thought the sleeping bags were the reject ones!!
The truth is - I couldn't sleep not only because its cold, but because it was my first time sleeping in a tent in an open area. I felt so insecure! Well, there's always a first time.

The baby - hmm...I don't think he'd notice coz he was all wrapped up with layers and layers of clothes. And if he had needed a change of diapers in the middle of the night, I think his parents would just ignore him.....

The toilet and the sink- excellently done. It was very clean and surprisingly it was warm inside the toilet. Maybe because no wind could enter it. But it was quite a walk up the hill. The sink faces the waterfall ......hmm...that explains the freezing water supply.

The first light - well.....i don't think there was any. It was bright the whole night. We woke up at 4am to do our solat and within minutes we could see the tip of the mountain getting brighter and brighter. It was beautiful...sitting there..looking at it changes every second, makes you think the creation of Allah.

The Day -At last, we managed to survive till morning.........and that is the best reward . It was worth while to suffer the whole night just waiting for this moment. Looking at the beautiful scenery, made me decided thatI don't mind staying for another night at all!! (provided I have sufficient supply of clothes)

And the best part of my first ever camping - NO LEECHES AT ALL!!!

These are some of the photos which I managed to capture........ you can check out more photos at my fotopages








Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Image hosted by Photobucket.com









1 comment:

F.Idrus said...

is that the toilet back there? The white kinda house... waa.. so syiok la stay in the UK.. i wish i am too...:)